Sunday, October 7, 2012

My First Day at the Orphanage - Deryk


Tiff, the kids and I went to the orphanage for the first time today with the Davenport's.  Wendy has done a lot of leg work to find the orphanage and get us in.  After their first visit, they told us about it and we decided that we wanted to go.  I have to tell you that I decided to go at first because I knew this was important to Dad, but I had to ask for a new heart to go with willingness and desire.

So I went today eager to see what it was like and to see how I could contribute.  I decided to start small and simply love on a child or two.  When I first came in, a little one grabbed my finger and we walked in circles around the room for quite a while.  Then another little one grabbed my other hand and joined us.  Finally, I sat down and one of them sat in my lap for a while.  So I sang over him and simply Talked over him (I learned this from Eric sense I had no idea what to do!).  Before the day was over I had three beautiful little children sitting in my lap.  It was an incredible moment, just having the opportunity to love on some little ones that need love so desperately.

As my family and I were talking about all of this tonight I was telling them the story of the three little ones crawling up in my lap, and I mentioned that I learned how they asked to be picked up.  I said, "It sounded like 'ba ba'", and Tiff, Hannah and Ayden all said at once, "They were calling you daddy."

I sat dumbfounded and in silence until Ayden said, "I think your understanding has gone to a whole new level."  Yep, I think you are right, Ayden.  A whole new level ...

1 comment: