Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cold Weather, Cooking, Package & Photos by Wendy

It's coming and it's coming much earlier than I thought!!!

Anyone who knows me well knows that cold weather and I don't mesh well together.  I have been anxious about the cold weather since learning that we would live at the foot of mountains. 

I literally carry a portable heater and heating pad with me from room to room in San Antonio!  I ruined my heating pad the first week in China after not checking the compatability of the voltage.  Thus no heating pad or electric blanket (the blanket won't work either).

What's a girl to do!  I have asked nearly all of my Chinese friends, "How do you stay warm in the winter"?  I've learned that they have NO hot water or heaters in the dorms.  Therefore, I have decided......no complaining about the cold in the winter!!!   I will do my best, considering I have much more than the students have. 

On another note....I am more of a 'buy things in a box and add water' sort of cook (if you call that cooking).  I have made very few things from scratch in my lifetime.  There's no Jiffy, Bisquick, Aunt Jemima or Duncan Hines here!

But now, however, I feel as though I am a REAL woman after learning to cook many things from scratch.  I have made cornbread, pancakes, tortillias, bisquits (in the skillet), and banana nut bread.  I am very proud...hear me roar :)  

We also received a couple of packages recently.  It was a true delight to open them, get goodies and read all of the sweet notes and cards.  Thank you so very much!  It was very meaningful and felt like an early Christmas :)

                                       Making Dumplings with Bo and Apple

 


The kids eating the dumplings

Missing our bathtub and improvising

The boys teaching a group of middle school students.

Our favorite park!


 
Aiden reading his notes from our package.

Brinson enjoying his notes too.

3 comments: