Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Not long now! Tiffany

Well it is the night before our last day in China for a couple of months.  Tomorrow I finish up the last 40 of my over 300 finals!  So many emotions flood through my mind as we get ready to leave.  We couldn't be more excited to see family and friends but we will certainly miss the people we have come to know and love here.  After one of my classes last night I found a student/friend waiting for me in the classroom next door just to give me a precious letter and walk me home.  So sweet and loving - so many precious relationships have been brought our way and many, many seeds have been sown.
I recently found a fun way to connect with some of the students.  I invite a couple of girls over at a time to paint and make cookies.  They seem to enjoy it - most of them have never made cookies before so that is a fun experience and our time sitting around the table painting has been a real natural time to talk.  We now have an entire wall of paintings!
I have to share a story that is long overdue, but too funny not to mention.  After our COLD, COLD winter, we were incredibly excited to see the warm weather come.  One of the first especially warm days, I broke out a short sleeve blouse and headed out to teach class.  Everything was in full bloom along the way, sun shining and birds singing.  I walked into class and all my students let out a gasp at the same time!  I wasn't really sure why, but I knew that it must have something to do with my new choice in clothing.  After class, a student came running up to me with total concern on her face and asked that I please take care of myself.  She didn't want me to get sick because of the "cold" - although it was no longer cold!  I smiled and said thank you.  Then I noticed that as I walked back among hundreds of Chinese students, I was the ONLY person in a short sleeve shirt.  Not only were they not in short sleeves but they were all still wearing their jackets!  I obviously didn't get the memo!  Well come to find out, in China they dress by the calendar - not the temperature.  So I had certainly upset the norm by breaking out the short sleeves too early.  It was so funny to watch though, because as the temperature continued to rise but the "day" was not yet right, the students would continue faithfully with their jackets even though they all arrived to their destinations very hot and sweaty.  Then, just like that, one day everyone had put their jackets away and brought out the short sleeves.  I just love cultural differences!  They make for so many memorable, funny, challenging, special moments!
I will close for now.  We are really, really looking forward to getting to see many of you over the coming weeks!  So grateful for your love and friendship.  Many blessings to you all~
Tiffany




 Some of the End of the Year Events that they asked us to take part in.  We sang in one, the kids did a Snow White Presentation in another, and Ayden did his Magic Tricks in a couple - he was pumped!





1 comment: